Saturday, January 17, 2009

Border's Shopping Spree

Going to borders is a sure fire way to empty the bank account for both my husband and I, and today was no different.

After a great lunch at the Irish pub The Auld Dubliner ( www.aulddubliner.com, has great great food and atmosphere) we headed over to Borders. I picked up Freakonomics, A Thousand Splendid Suns and we both decided on Yes we Can, a great coffee table book about the Obama campaign with some amazing photos.
I really didn't need any new books, but how is it possible to enter a Borders (or any bookstore for that matter) without bringing a new book home? I think I have an addiction. If only you could see our apartment. I think we need a second apartment just for our amassed reading material. 

The book Yes We Can by Scout Tufankjian is a masterpiece of photos from Obama's campaign. The images she was able to collect are nothing short of extraordinary. I even teared up looking at the photos, esp. of the older people with tears streaming down their faces and of the children with looks of awe. I don't cry easy, so that should really say something about the emotional depths of this book. Not only did it have these amazing photos, but included quotes from his speeches and first hand accounts from this photographer that followed the campaign from before Obama was even officially a presidential candidate. This is really a must have for anyone that was inspired by this tremendous campaign.
So I was able to satisfy my book habit today. I just have to steer clear of any and all bookstores for the next month, as my budget for books was far exceeded.

1 comment:

  1. You will love A Thousand Splendid Suns! Be forewarned: it starts off mega sad and stays sad through much of the story (as you might expect). Persevere! You'll be glad you did.

    ReplyDelete