Friday, January 30, 2009

Tax Time!


I have a love hate relationship with filing taxes. I love the end result, which is usually a pretty sizable return, but the process is bound to give me a few grey hairs.

I have used Turbo Tax for the past three years and it has been fabulous. I love being able to punch in the numbers and have the program do all the math for me. Anyone who knows me knows I will do anything to avoid math :) I also love the e-file option and the fact they deposit your return directly into your bank account. Its like magic! You open your online banking one day and all this money is in there! BEST.FEELING.EVER. I know this money is mine, always has been mine and I am just having what was mine rightfully returned to me, but it still seems like free money. I like that feeling, no matter how irrational.

The problem I am having this year is that to e-file you need to have last years adjusted gross income. That would be fine and dandy if our computer hard drive hadn't been wiped clean last year, along with all tax return records. That will teach me to keep a printed copy from now on! So after trying multiple suggestions from Turbo Tax to retrieve this figure, I have had to resort to calling the IRS. Which has to be the worst place ever to call. I am currently on hold while blogging, and have been for over 16 minutes so far. Oh the joy! I'm considering hurling the phone out the window. I have to keep repeating to myself "This will get you your money faster". Sigh.
In any case, once we get our refund we are going hog wild! We are really letting lose this year. We are buying :wait for it: TIRES! and BRAKES! I know I know, you're jealous. It's understandable. The rest will go into savings.

What are you doing with your tax return (if you get one)?

No comments:

Post a Comment